January 2011: I am preparing for my first real visit to Detroit, the city of my birth. I am a Californian, where I have been since age one when my parents packed me into a car to seek fame and fortune in LA. It is strange to be defined by something unknown but when asked if I am a "native" Californian, I answer, "No, I was born in Detroit." It seems time to investigate what that means. So I have come "home" on my birthday to photograph Detroit.

This blog is part of an accompanying journal about the project.

Thursday, September 28, 2023

 The last trip. 20 visits, 12years.  I had hoped to finish earlier but the pandemic years took their toll and, I suppose some before as well since it seems my last post was 2017, six years ago.

I am just home. Its been a terrific journey with new friends, new perspectives on cities and city life and an overview of a population working together, whether from the standpoint of investment, of education, of the arts.  Detroit is an example for us all and, I will go back.

More than a personal tour, there are many, Detroit expats, as well as newcomers who have been flocking to this city over the last dozen years.

Detroit is 139 square miles, seemingly large but the numbers don't tell the full story. In 2011,  the land looked ready to return to the prairie, so many houses and services at the end of a long period of ruin.  I chose not to photograph too much of teh ruin.  Others had called attention to it before.

Instead, even in that dreaded time, neighbors continued to be close, helping one another.  

Gradually, the old vacant yards turning into multi-functional parks. The plains and grasslands that had taken over, were  now diminishing fast and new condos, refreshed turn of the century houses would stand happily next to one another.

Light poles illuminated the streets and murals have become the view. Wandering alone on the SW Riverfront or soon the Joe Lewis Greenway will allow safe cycling and walking tours of even the outer ends of the city.

There will be more as communities continue to reconnect and the downtown thrives.  

Detroit is not without worry but it is now absent the dire forecasts. of only a few years ago ...

I was so happy to return...









No comments:

Post a Comment