January 2011: I am preparing for my first real visit to Detroit, the city of my birth. I am a Californian, where I have been since age one when my parents packed me into a car to seek fame and fortune in LA. It is strange to be defined by something unknown but when asked if I am a "native" Californian, I answer, "No, I was born in Detroit." It seems time to investigate what that means. So I have come "home" on my birthday to photograph Detroit.

This blog is part of an accompanying journal about the project.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

American Pie

A friend passed along this video made in Grand Rapids in response to those who also call it a "dying city."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPjjZCO67WI&feature=share



My entry into "career" life started with Don McLean's "American Pie," released by United Artists just days after I started work there. It's theme, even after 40 years, is again significant in the narrative of our lives for just back from my second visit to Detroit, I can see the same spirit and joy in this great midwestern city.


From Detroit's Annual Downtown Hoedown 2011, Saturday 14 May 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment